Opinion: Uganda should ban use of dental amalgam mercury

Mercury is a highly toxic liquid metal that attacks the central nervous system and remains in the environment for long periods of time.

Communities are exposed to the effects of mercury through air, soil, and water.

Children are more affected by mercury because their brains are still developing where most of them are affected while they are in the womb of their mothers.

Mercury is a neurotoxin which can damage brains and nervous systems of human being, and can harm developing brains of children and lead to reduced intelligence.

Other effects of mercury are tremors, impaired vision and hearing, paralysis, insomnia and emotional instability.

Also, because mercury is classified as CMR (Carcinogenic, Mutagenic and Reproductive) due to its health effects, it has negative reproductive effects: as it can damage sperms to men, birth defects, miscarriages, birth problems and developmental deficits during pregnancy and childhood.

In Uganda; like in many other African countries, mercury exposure also occurs through the numerous consumer products available on the market.

Mercury, which is used in dental amalgam, is a restorative material that is approximately 50% elemental mercury and is a notorious heavy metal of global concern that is known to be a potent poison of the human nervous system.

Dental mercury enters the environment via many release pathways, polluting air via cremation, dental clinic releases, and sewage sludge incineration; water via human waste and dental clinic releases to septic systems and municipal wastewater; and soil via landfills, burials, and fertilizer.

read more: https://nilepost.co.ug/2019/02/08/opinion-uganda-should-ban-use-of-dental-amalgam-mercury/

Leave a Reply